≑ Menu

Recipe Testing: Chicken Soup & Plum Cobbler

1012-recipe-testing-pen

I woke up with a wretched cold today, which, after my healthy-eating and hand-washing regimen, makes me feel sort of like a … failure. Ah, well. We all get sick. I couldn’t let the cold get me down because I had a lot of work to do over the weekend. Writing, yes, and a big (and top secret) project for Glamour, which I hope to be able to tell you more about in the weeks/months ahead. I’ll just say that this, er, top-secret project had me doing lots of cooking. And, as fate would have it, one of the items on my list was to make a divine batch of feel-better chicken soup! I also made a swoon-worthy plum cobbler that I wish you could try right now (you’d need a fainting couch–it’s that good). Because the recipes are under wraps, I’ll just share a few photos of my cooking extravaganza, how about that?

This bird got a nice hot bath in a stockpot…

1012-chicken-soup-pot

Next into the pot, veggies! Aren’t they pretty?

1012-chicken-soup-veggies

And a bundle of fresh herbs from my garden (they grow like weeds, really)…

1012-herbs

And now, onto the plum cobbler…

1012-plums

So pretty, isn’t it? My husband ate every last bite.

1012-cobbler

Dishes stacked high in the sink, which I’ll get to tomorrow (yawn)…

1012-dirty-dishes

signature-1

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
12 comments… add one
  • Leah >> October 13, 2009, 9:19 am

Last night, I was so tempted to order dinner in, so I could keep working, but it’s always a wonderful creative process to cook. It’s a great way to reconnect with myself and the world/nature when I cook. I appreciate the beauty of the pots I have, appreciate the sharpness of my knives, marvel at the beautiful, vibrant colors of the ingredients I use. Cooking is vastly comforting and connected and elemental. I even quite enjoy washing the dishes/pots. I loved these photos, Sarah. They’re sumptuous and yet so comforting, too. Thank you.

• Jessica Lee Binder >> October 13, 2009, 9:20 am

Taunting with pictures and no recipes, then herbs that grow like weeds. I live in NYC and don’t get enough light to grow a darn thing. Yet, I will still wish for you to feel all better soon!

• admin >> October 13, 2009, 9:25 am

Leah, hi! I loved your comment and the way you describe cooking. So so true! Beautifully put. Jessica, thanks for stopping by! Thanks for the well wishes. Do you have a patio or garden plot in your NYC home? I’m fascinated with NYC life. I try to convince my husband that we need to move there for just a 2 year adventure and rent our house out. He’s not convinced. All of my magazine editors are there, so it would be so fun to give it whirl for a few years. πŸ™‚

• Leah >> October 13, 2009, 10:08 am

Jessica, I live in San Francisco in a high rise and despite having 12 small balconies, cannot grow anything (possibly because I’m terrible at watering!). Technically, the roof isn’t a common area, but I think I might sneak up there to try to grow some herbs because I agree…taunting us with herbs that grow like weeds…that really did me in! πŸ˜‰ Sarah, I forgot to say I do hope you feel better. Also hope you get to have your stint in NYC!

• pve >> October 14, 2009, 3:09 am

We make the same soup! (My Mom made it too)
    Always makes me feel good, and one’s home smells divine!
    pve

• The Newlywed Chefette >> October 14, 2009, 10:16 am

I LOVE cooking days on the weekends, especially now that the weather is colder! Few things better than a big pot of soup on the stove!!

• Sanity Fair >> October 14, 2009, 8:21 pm

This is why I shouldn’t cruise blogs at this area – so hungry now! Just found your blog and it’s lovely – looking forward to reading more. Get well soon.
    -Sanity Fair

• Lisa >> October 15, 2009, 9:24 am

Hi Sarah,
    I’ve been reading your Glamour blog for a while, just found this one, and thought I’d say hi πŸ™‚ I’m also on a big make-my-own soup kick — just made some sweet potato soup this week. I’m in NYC (recent grad, aspiring writer with a day job πŸ˜› ) and am loving all the farmers markets, cooking classes and everything available out here. Thanks for all your wonderful posts!

• Lecia/A Day that is Dessert >> October 15, 2009, 9:51 am

Yum! Can we all come over and share?

• Gerry Verhoef >> October 15, 2009, 11:13 am

Hi, Sarah
    I found a plum recipe that sounds like yours using purple plums on the blog Orangette. I tried that recipe and our family enjoyed it on the day we were finishing our house painting project in September. We have an Italian Plum tree in our backyard which gives us a great supply of plums in the fall of every year. It’s an old tree and we ask ourselves every year if this is the year when it will ‘bite the dust’ and die but it keeps on giving.

I was wondering if your recipe is the same as the one on Orangette that they serve for desert at Delancey restaurant?

Hope your cold gets better. We are doing fine after all the excitement of Nathan’s wedding on October 3rd. Give a hug to Jason for me.

Aunt Gerry